3.23.2012

NYC

I stopped staring at the nightsky when I mistook an airplane for a star for the third time. I moved my eyesight to the New York City skyline, and I certainly did not regret. The Manhattan's skyscrapers had this charm in their lights for which I had grown an utter devotion. That night, though there were no stars in sight as usual, was fresh, clear, and the view from that terrace where my best friend was helding a party was scenic.
As stunned as I was by the perfection of the urban landscape, I didn't notice that a man was looking straight at me, until an anonymous voice asked me from the other side of the room what time was it. As I turned my head back to the city's view, I saw his figure: tall, but not gigantic, thin, but looked athletic, with dark blonde hair and deep green eyes. When he realized I was looking at him, he smiled and came closer. "Your friend couldn't have chosen a better night to celebrate her birthday, could she?" he said. His voice was soft, but still manly. "Um, yeah, I think, it's a beautiful night, I..." I mumbled, and he stopped me: "I've noticed you are holding an unlit cigarette. Is that a technique for quitting smoking, or...?" "Oh, no, I'm not planning on quitting anytime soon. I've just forgotten my lighter.", as soon as I finished talking, he took out a Marlboro box of his own, and lit both cigarettes. We smoked quietly for a minute or two, and he suddenly spoke: "I'm sorry, I still haven't introduced myself, Steve, Steve Apperson." He offered me his hand, I shook it and said "Nice to meet you, Jolene, Jolene Seymour", "Nice to meet you, too, Jolene.", he replied with a smile, and added "Let me ask you a question, do you believe in miracles?", "No", I answered, "a miracle is something performed by some religious entitie, and I have no religion. But, if you ask me, I do believe in fate, and, very childishly, in magic." He squinted his eyes for a moment, as if he was having a hard time processing my answer. Clearly, that was not what he expected from me. After a minute, he ended: "Well, that's a good thing. You are making a point out of facts: it was definitely fate that brought us together, out of a million terraces in New York, out of endless nights in life. And we can't deny there is magic going on here, can we?". I thought of that as an arrogant, yet successful, attempt to hit on me. I was about to respond when he continued: "But, I have to dismiss your theory right here: it would be a miracle that you wanted to leave this place with me, tonight". I couldn't help but start laughing. "I'll take that as a yes", he replied with a victorious smile.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario